How To Transfer Domain
There are so many places that we can buy the domain name. In some case, we might want to transfer our domain from one to another registrar. The reason might be various. I ever do that when I develop a website for my client. He already buy the domain from one registrar, but I want to host the web in another provider because the price is cheaper and I can manage the domain and hosting renewal at one place. At first I didn't transfer the domain right away. I just change its nameserver to point to the address of my hosting provider like I have explained in my previous tutorial.
Now, I want to explain the step by step process about how to transfer domain from one to another registrar.
- The Requirements
Before we can transfer the domain smoothly, there are some requirements that we must fulfill.
- Your domain name is not locked for transfer. To make sure about it, please go to your domain control panel page. If it's locked edit it so it become unlock for transfer process. If you are unable to find the page, please contact your domain provider.
- The EPP Key for the domain. This is the code in some random string which we should enter in the approval process. This code also can be found in the domain control panel.
- You have to be able to access the e-mail address in the domain contact information. This is required for approval process because the approval link will be sent to this e-mail.
- No domain information update within 60 days when you want to process the transfer. If there is update process within that range, you have to wait 60 days after the last day of the update activity before you can continue the transfer.
- The Transfer Process
When all required things are met, we can continue the transfer process. Please follow the instructions below.
- Made the transfer request from the destination registrar. Every domain providers should have this feature. If you are unsure about it please contact the registrar.
- Like I said previously, there will be an e-mail which is sent to the e-mail address in the domain contact information. Please open the e-mail then click the link then process the approval by entering the EPP Key.
- After the approval process, usually we have to wait within 5 and 10 days until the transfer process is completed. If all the points in the requirements sections are fulfilled, the transfer process should be run smoothly.